Monday, December 04, 2006

The Art

was first introduced in any big way into Great Britain by my teacher Kenshiro Abbe (8th Dan) in 1955. I was one his first pupils. At that time Judo was very popular and so people were not interested in the 'new art'. The Aikido training was also found by beginners to be extremely severe and this put off many beginners.

After many years of study I was graded to 1st Dan. At the time I received my black belt for Aikido, there were only eight pupils practising in this country. These pupils are now the teachers of the art in this country. The art received stimulus by the visit to this country of Mr Tadashi Abbe (7th Dan). In 1963, Mr M. Nakazono (7th Dan) came to England and was asked to supervise Aikido in this country. At the same time I was appointed National Coach. It is therefore only comparatively recently that Aikido has spread in this country and it is now being taught in schools for the Education Authorities.